Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Not Just Stupid... Stupid and WRONG!

Before I launch into today's short rant, I would like to thank all the people who passed along words of support, encouragement, help and advice after reading the previous posting. It means a lot to me and it's genuinely appreciated. It supports my belief that although institutions may fail us, we shall never fail each other.

I don't know if yesterday's post will actually accomplish anything, but writing it was damned theraputic for me!

Okay, now for today's rant.

Apparently, there's a Republican Congresswoman from Minnesota's 6th District, Michelle Bachmann, who frequently says some rather bizarre things. She recently said another. I can't possibly do it justice by paraphrasing, so here's the direct quote:

"I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970s that the swine flu broke out then under another Democrat president Jimmy Carter, and I'm not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence."

Unlike some people, I don't mind getting older. The reason for this is being around longer means I can remember things that happened before some of you whipper-snappers were around. Like the last swine flu threat. The one that happened in the 1970's. The one that happened when Republican GERALD FORD was President!

President Ford oversaw a Swine Flu vaccine program and encouraged Americans to get a shot.

In fact, Ford, wanting to set a a good example, got vaccinated himself. Here's a picture:



I don't really understand the point of Rep. Bachmann's statement, but I'm reminded of the ol' adage "knowledge is power". And I suppose if one lacks knowledge, one can't be expected to be responsible with power.

Y'know... now that I'm reminded of him, I kinda miss ol' Jerry Ford. He seemed like a nice guy and, unlike some of some his GOP successors (see above), he wasn't a complete ignoramus.

1 comment:

  1. It looks to me like Jerry's trying out some heroine. Look at his smile, it's obvious he just had some reefer. And we know that always leads to the hard stuff.

    ReplyDelete